Highly acclaimed yet quirky recording of tunes from The English Lake District by The Boat Band. The package contains a 12 page booklet including an in depth article on the life and times of Lakeland fiddler William Irwin.
Melodeons, fiddle, guitar and tenor banjo play with the kind of straight-ahead drive that dancers would appreciate, and the rasping, tapping and thudding of possibly home-made percussion adds greatly to the rhythm.
Kate Barfield – violin, vocal
Mark Burke – melodeon, vocal, percussion
Greg Stephens – guitar, tenor banjo, melodeon, percussion
Tony Weatherall – melodeon, vocal
1. Jig: A Trip to the Lakes
2. Polkas: Carlisle Reel, Haul Away The Hawser,Trip To Cartmel
3. Cumberland Waltz, Kendal Waltz
4. Reels: Robinson’s, The Honeymoon, A Bonny Lass To Marry Me, The Cumberland
5. Hornpipes: Keswick Bonny Lasses, Stables’ Grand Hornpipe
6. The Birds Upon The Tree
7. Jigs: Cumberland Reel, Carlisle Races
8. Polkas: Dear Tobacco, Bonny Cumberland, King’s Polka No 1, King’s Polka No 2
9. Hornpipes: Stybarrow Crag, Iron Legs, The Calgarth
10. Corby Castle
11. Jigs: Kendal Ghyll, When I Parted, Ulverston Volunteers
12. Westmorland Waltz
13. Cumberland Square Eight tunes: My Love She’s But A Lassie Yet, Whitehaven Volunteers, Through The Wood Spinning
14. A Trip To Galloway.