Furness Tradition announce a traditional tune writing competition to take place at this year’s Furness Tradition Festival.
You are invited to compose a traditional style dance tune – jigs, reels, hornpipes, polkas, waltzes etc. Entry is open to all. The winning tune will be played during the festival and may be published in a booklet. The winner will be awarded the John Hazlehurst Memorial Trophy plus a £50 cash prize. The composer may play their own tune or nominate a musician to play it for them.
John Hazlehurst was a good friend and supporter to Furness Tradition for many years. He was a member of the Old Friends Band for 20 years. John was a long-time member of Furness Morris as a Dancer, Fool, and much respected musician. His ability as a Morris musician playing the Anglo Concertina and Northumbrian Pipes, was second to none. He provided musical accompaniment to Furness Clog Dancers, and was a stalwart of the Furness Tradition Community Band.
He was also a very active member of St Mark’s Church in Barrow.
He published his own tune book ‘Phizacklea’s Fandangle’ which is available from Furness Tradition. All the proceeds from its sales are donated to ANTBA (Association Nationale pour la Traduction de la Bible et l’Alphabetisation) the biggest provider of ‘mother tongue’ literacy classes and materials in Burkina Faso, one of the poorest nations in the world. This generosity is typical of John.
Furness Tradition has worked in conjunction with his family who wish to commemorate him with this trophy.
We remember him as a wonderful musician, composer of many fine local tunes, possessing a quiet sense of humour, and a loyal friend. And, to cap it all, he was an all-round nice guy! He is sorely missed by many in the music world, and in local life.
John was a lovely man, gentle nature, quiet, patient and committed. The world is a poorer place without him.
- Competitors are invited to compose a traditional dance tune – jig, reel, hornpipe, polka, waltz, etc.
- Excluding Furness Tradition Trustees, committee members and their families, the competition is open to all.
- The tune must be an original tune and must not have been entered into any other competition.
- The copyright will remain the property of the composer, but Furness Tradition reserve the right to publish the tune in book form.
- The closing date for entry is 9 July 2018.
- The judges’ decision is final.
The form of the Competition
- The composer can either play their own tune or nominate a musician to play it for them.
- The judging will take place on Wednesday 11 July at 7.00 pm at the Kings arms, King St. Ulverston.
- The competition will be for the John Hazlehurst Memorial Trophy. The winner’s name shall be inscribed onto the larger trophy. A smaller one to be given to and kept by the winner, plus a £50 cash prize.
- Winning tune to be played on the Friday night of the Festival where the presentation will take place.
- Furness Tradition reserves the right to publish all the tunes entered in booklet form.
You can enter by filling in the form below.